Monday, January 10, 2011

New years eve in chipiona

For New Years Eve I went down south to Chipiona to see some friends from the last couple times I came to Spain. I haven't been down there since the first weekend of October so I figured it was time to return and New Years Eve is a great holiday to spend with friends. I took the train from Don Benito to Sevilla and arrived around noon. Then met my friend Margari there who just happened to be driving to Chipiona around the same time I arrived. Sevilla was beautiful as always and much warmer than Extremadura.

Margari dropped me off at Rocio's parents' store just as they were closing up for the weekend. Rocio's dad took me for 'una tapita' at a new restaurant/bar that I really liked near the lighthouse and then to another bar across from Rosa's store. I took the opportunity to surprise her that I was there and we chatted for a few minutes before I had to leave.

Fast forward a few hours and another friend Jennie picks me up at Rocio's parents' house around 11:30. We head back to her house to watch the New Years Eve special on tv and do the 12 grapes. Each time the bell tolls after midnight you are supposed to eat a grape for good luck. You are supposed to be done with them just after the twelfth toll. It took me about 4 minutes due to all the seeds and the skin. Seedless grapes are really underrated.

After we watched the action from Puerta del Sol in Madrid we headed out to the clubs. Everyone was out and lots of people were wearing tuxedos. I was really surprised by that but Jennie told me it's something the young kids do. We stayed out until breakfast, which some old guy paid for, and then I took a glorious nap after the long night out.

On new years day I went with Jennie and Carolina to Sanlucar de Barrameda to eat at McDonalds. It's really different here, they have sandwiches called the CBO (chicken bacon onion) and the NYCrispy. Same monopoly game, but all the streets are streets in Madrid.

Chipiona is really different in winter. It's not packed with tourists and it seems half empty. The town is really just chill and people seem to be enjoying their downtime. Come July the place will be buzzing with beachgoers. See you soon in March Chipiona...


12 grapes ready to be not eaten in 12 seconds


friends

1 comment:




  1. evespecial Professional’s makeup advice for beginners and regular makeup lover. Pick your makeup need for your eyes, hair, face, neck, etc. that suits your need for the occasion. Experts makeup advice for girls and women, for both daily needs and for events or occasions.

    ReplyDelete