Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween, Spanish Style

Sunday was halloween here in Spain, just like back home in the States. Halloween here isn't a huge holiday, but it is gaining some traction. Lots of kids wear costumes and my town even had a haunted house for the first time ever this year. A couple of my friends hosted a halloween party at their apartment and then we went to the club afterward in our costumes. I got a cheap mask, sword, and hat and went as Zorro.

Today is a national holiday, so everything is closed. It's a holiday in which people go to the cemetary and take care of their family members' graves and put flowers and everything. Lots of people are back in town from where they are currently living for the weekend. More importantly for me, the extra day off after Halloween has been nice for recuperating, and I'm sure a bunch of people my age in America wish there was a day off after Halloween.

The store that I bought my Halloween costume from is called the Hiper-Chino. These type of stores are everywhere in Don Benito, and they stay open on Sunday and have EVERYTHING you could ever want. It's like a really small Wal-Mart owned by Chinese families and the prices are better. Everyone just calls them "chinos" because of how different they are from the rest of stores in Spain. Walking into the chino around the corner from my house is always fun because of the things I am amazed that they have.

Tomorrow it's back to the grind, hopefully we will be paid soon because I'm getting cabin fever from staying in Don Benito for so long while the other auxiliars are jet-setting for Amsterdam and Barcelona seemingly every weekend. I'm jealous now and it sucks!




Halloween with friends

No comments:

Post a Comment